Sunday, April 30, 2006

Kick Ass

Pour some sugar on me
Ooh, in the name of love
Pour some sugar on me
C'mon fire me up
Pour your sugar on me
Oh, I can't get enough

I'm hot, sticky sweet
From my head to my feet yeah


There goes one of my all time favorite songs from Def Lappard. Felt exactly the same after I crossed the finish line in the Kentuky Derby festival mini @ Louisville. Completed the mini in 2hrs 45 min. That’s some kool shit, KICK ASS stuff actually! na mind block iyyipoindi lol, words are not coming freely to describe the whole experience, but will try. First things first, song by Kid Rock:

Bawitdaba da bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up jump the boogy
Bawitdaba da bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up jump the boogy
Bawitdaba da bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up jump the boogy
Bawitdaba da bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up jump the boogy
Bawitdaba da bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up jump the boogy
Bawitdaba da bang a dang diggy diggy diggy said the boogy said up jump the boogy
(Get Ready)
My name is KIIIIIIIIIIIID...Kid Rock


On the day of the marathon, I had to wake up at 5:00(something i'm not used to). Picked up the race packet and tshirt at the convention center and headed out to McD's to have my favorite breakfast - Pancakes and hash brown. In addition to the carb dose, I literally drank 3 packets of the maple syrup because I needed the sugars to give me energy till the finish line. At least on that day I wanted to be on time for a change and beat my bad reputation of being the 'Last Minute Guy'. Bad habits die hard, as usual, it was my luck that saved my day - managed to catch the last bus in the last minute which took the runners to the start line :) Ok, reached the start line at 7:25 AM( race starts @ 7:30 AM). What I saw there was unbelievable and something I saw for the first time. Before we go, another song, this time from Aerosmith baby:


Sing with me, sing for the years
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears
Sing with me, if it's just for today
Maybe tomorrow the good lord will take you away

Dream on, dream on
Dream yourself a dream come true
Dream on, dream on
Dream until your dream come true
Dream on, dream on, dream on...


The atmosphere was simply electric at the start line. There were about 9,000 runners, many thousands in the crowd. The cheering was unbelievable. I joined the runners and started to stretch, suddenly there was a big sound in front, the race started! Just to reach the start the start line took me 8 minutes, just imagine the number of people running. My legs never felt so good, I took off right from the word go. In my training, I run for the first 5 min, walk for 2 min, repeat this for the first mile. But this time it was different. I didn't take a break for the first 2.5 miles :) The route was very scenic, the first 7 miles was in a state park which was very beautiful. I had an emotional experience right at the start of the race. There was a very old lady(may be in 80s) who waved to me and wished me good luck. What a way to start! There were many people like this in the crowd and the same is the attitude of the runners. Every one was very supportive of the fellow runner; I saw a million smiling faces on that day.

Time for a song from Metallica

So close no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters

Never opened myself this way
Life is ours, we live it our way
All these words I don't just say
And nothing else matters


Every mile completed gave me an immense satisfaction. The volunteers on the way were great, offered drinks, oranges etc., with a smile :) The part of the race that I enjoyed the most was we entered the Derby stadium. I saw the horses getting trained for racing :) Although I never put a bet, I have a special fascination for the horse racing because of my dad. He loves racing and used to take me to race clubs in Hyderabad and Bangalore. By the time we left the stadium, we were already done with 10 miles!! Now that is the max I trained for. I managed to complete the miles 11 and 12. Trouble started after mile 12. I couldn't run anymore. I had the will power but my legs won't move. I prayed to god to give me energy :)then a lady came by and told me "we have been following you. You have been with us all along, its the last one mile of the race, com'on you can do it!". That’s all the motivation I needed. I gathered all that is left me in and kept running till the finish line :)

song from Red Hot Chilli Peppers:

How long
how long will I slide
Separate my side
I don't
I don't believe it's bad
Slittin my throat
It's all I ever

I heard your voice through a photograph
I thought it up and brought up the past
Once you've know you can never go back
I've got to take it on the otherside


I don't know how to describe the feeling correctly, when I was made eye contact with eh FINISH line. I guess it was spiritual :) I am very happy that the training paid off. Crossed the finish line to the applause of atleast 5,000 peeople :) This is an accomplishment that I cannot forget easily, and i'm glad that I'm writing a blog to record this sweet memory. Dare to Dream and care to achieve - Now I can fully appreciate that quote. For achieving any thing in life, we have to have a dream for it, focus and have proper training and handwork to achieve it and your dream will come true :)

thanks for reading my lengthy blog, please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any tips for the mini training :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Viswatez Repakula said...

Let me be the 1st to congrajulate u at ur blog :D

Hearty Congrats babai :)

Go ahead.....we are proud of our baddakist Scary completing a Marathon :P

3:54 AM  
Blogger scarface said...

thanks viswam babai {hug}

Vijay babu, manchi comment ettu ra babu..ne comment deleted :)

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home